CompStat Alert – February 1-14, 2017
HOTSPOT 1: Port Coquitlam: Broadway St in the west, Kingsway Ave in the east and Kebet Way in the south.
Criminal activity in this hotspot during the reporting time frame:
- Business break and enters; occurring primarily Thursday to Sunday.
- Theft of vehicles.
- Theft from vehicles.
IF YOU SEE SOMETHING…SAY SOMETHING
Here are three simple things you can do to help the Coquitlam RCMP build safe, secure communities:
- Join your local Block Watch group.
- If you see criminal or suspicious activity, report it. We may not send an
officer immediately, but we need your information to know what is going
on in our jurisdiction. Call 604-945-1550 for non-emergencies and 911 for
emergencies. Both lines are staffed 24/7.
- Follow #CQCompStat on Twitter, like us on Facebook for up-to-date alerts
and visit our website for safety and prevention tips.
twitter.com/cqrcmp | coquitlam.rcmp.ca | facebook.com/cqrcmp
Tips for protecting yourself against crimes listed above:
Residential break and enters:
- Close and lock your doors and windows. Don’t leave your garage door opener in a vehicle parked on the street.
- Create the illusion of occupancy when you’re away by making sure mail is picked up, the yard is maintained and lights are on timers.
- Find out more ways to protect your home from being broken into.
- Lock vehicle doors and close windows.
- Take your garage opener out of your vehicle when it’s parked on the street. If stolen, your garage door opener gives thieves access to the contents of your garage and potentially to your home.
- Don’t leave briefcases, purses and backpacks that may contain wallets, identification, laptops, cell phones and other valuables unattended in your vehicle. Not even for a moment. Not even locked in your trunk or glove box. You never know when a criminal is around looking for an opportunity. But you can rest assured that thieves know to check the trunk and glove box if they don’t see anything out in the open.
- Don’t leave your valet key, spare key or house keys inside the vehicle.
- Find out more ways to protect yourself from vehicle crime.
Break and enters to underground parking garages & storage lockers:
- When entering or leaving underground parking garages, wait for the automatic gate to close before proceeding.
- Report broken gates or doors to building manager.
- If you see someone or something suspicious call the police immediately.
If you see something…say something
The Coquitlam RCMP urges area residents to call 604-945-1550 to report anything suspicious and to call 9-1-1 to report crime in progress. The information you provide to us, no matter how minor it seems to be, is very valuable and we need your help to keep our community safe.